Amidst the chaos of the modern world, many individuals are seeking solace and a greater sense of meaning in life. Leading them to embark upon an awakening journey. Spiritual awakening is an enlightening process that transcends religious boundaries and explores the limitless depths of consciousness. But what does this really mean and what does an awakening journey look like in our day-to-day experience? This article intends to shed light on the essence and significance of spiritual awakening, guiding readers through its profound impacts, signs, and steps to navigate one’s awakening.
What is a Spiritual Awakening?
Spiritual awakening can be thought of as an awakening of consciousness, marked by a deep realization of our interconnectedness with all beings and the universe. It often occurs as a result of a profound shift in perspective usually brought on by a significant life transition (though not always). While the experience differs for each individual, there are common threads that many will experience as they engage with this continual process. It usually requires an abrupt or gradual shedding of beliefs, identity, and worldviews. Followed by a massive thirst for new knowledge and perspectives.
Signs of Spiritual Awakening
For some, this journey will unfold subtly, and for others, it will be abrupt and destructive. But there are distinct signs and experiences regardless of the onboarding speed. These signs may include a heightened sense of connection, increased perception, and sensitivity to the environment. A deeper sense of compassion and the ability and desire to see the world from another’s perspective. There is an increased awareness of one’s thoughts and emotions and a stronger desire for introspection. Other signs can manifest as synchronicities, unexplainable occurrences, increased intuition, or wanting to consciously co-create one’s life. Additionally, individuals undergoing spiritual awakening may experience a profound shift in values and priorities, as they detach from ego-driven outcomes in pursuit of meaning, peace, and purpose.
The Impact of Awakening
Because spiritual awakening invites us to dive into our inner world, we uncover layers of conditioning, destructive beliefs, and limiting perspectives that hold us back from living meaningful lives. This allows us to move through life with more compassion, forgiveness, and tolerance toward ourselves and others. Often fostering harmonious relationships and improved communication. As awareness expands we are capable of a greater appreciation for nature, the beauty of existence, and the impermanence of life. We also experience Oneness or the interconnectedness of all things more frequently and often see our life through this wider lens. These perspectives are necessary for a deeper level of purpose and meaning.
Navigating the Spiritual Path
This path at times can be exciting, and awe-inspiring. But it can also be painful as old patterns, people and behaviors begin to fall out of our lives. Cultivating mindfulness through practices such as meditation, yoga, or journaling helps create the necessary space for introspection and self-awareness. As well as helps to hone our concentrative abilities. Additionally, engaging with spiritual teachings, and books, or attending retreats can provide guidance and inspiration along the way. Finding a supportive community can help as sometimes this path can make you feel a little crazy and it is good to have the support of like-minded people who can keep you grounded. And help you process the life changes you will go through as part of this journey. Maintaining a mindset of curiosity, openness, and surrender is vital, as spiritual awakening often defies logic and requires embracing the unknown.
Spiritual awakening is an invitation to embark upon a profound and transformative journey, unlocking the infinite depths within us. By embracing this path, we connect with our true essence, discover the interconnectedness of all existence, and find solace and purpose in an ever-changing world. Through signs, experiences, and the profound impacts it brings, spiritual awakening provides an opportunity for deep healing, personal growth, and heightened consciousness. By embarking upon this journey with curiosity, openness, and mindfulness, we forge a deeper connection with ourselves, others, and the universe. Unveiling the boundless wonders that reside within.
The Divine Feminine is often explored in contrast to the patriarchal structures that modern society was built on. However, the Divine Feminine is one of the fundamental archetypal and energetic building blocks of creation and is not limited to females. It is not just a response to patriarchal structures, but instead a principal form of energy that all beings possess, regardless of a person’s gender. It is complementary to the Divine Masculine, and together they are the forces behind all of creation. This article will explore the Divine Feminine traits, archetypes, and imbalances, as well as how to awaken this force within each of us.
Characteristics of the Divine Feminine
In many spiritual traditions, the Divine Feminine is personified as a goddess or a divine mother figure. It is associated with intuition, feelings, nurturing, receptivity, interconnectedness, healing, creativity, empathy, and communication. Symbols such as the moon, Gaia (Mother Earth), and water as all considered expressions of the Divine Feminine. It acts as a counterbalance to the masculine aspects, which are associated with the qualities of strength, action, and logic. If the masculine is focused on doing, the feminine is focused on being. She is not only represented by the more abstract and emotional aspects but she is also the container from which all things are birthed. She is the unmanifest consciousness that awaits the masculine structure and instruction to bring form out of the formless.
The Divine Feminine Archetypes
In mythology and literature, the Divine Feminine is represented in various forms and includes a multitude of energies, deities, virtues, and personifications. These archetypes are not goddesses but rather attributes of the Divine Feminine, and they can be used to cultivate a deeper awareness of ourselves. By recognizing which of these archetypes we embody, we can learn how these energies manifest as both the shadow and light depending on our own unique experiences. We can call upon different aspects of these forms to restore balance and wholeness to our being.
The following are examples of Divine Feminine archetypes:
- Maiden: embodies innocence, playfulness, and new beginnings. E.g. Persephone, Cinderella, Snow White
- Lover: represents sensuality, intimacy, and emotional connection. E.g. Aphrodite, Venus, Guinevere, Juliet, Cleopatra
- Mother: embodies nurturing, compassion, and unconditional love. E.g. Demeter, Mary, Gaia, Mother Nature.
- Enchantress: represents the mysterious, seductive, and magical aspects of femininity. E.g. Circe, Medusa, Baba, Maleficent.
- Healer: embodies the power of healing, restoration, and transformation. E.g. Hecate, Kuan Yin, White Buffalo Calf Woman
- Creatrix: represents creativity, imagination, and the ability to bring form out of the formless. E.g. Saraswati, Minerva, Sophia, Oshun
- Priestess: embodies spirituality, intuition, and connection to the Divine. E.g. Hestia, Isis, Mary Magdalene
- Queen: represents leadership, authority, and the ability to create order and stability. E.g.Hera, Ishtar, Elizabeth I, Catherine the Great
- Wild Woman: represents freedom, authenticity, and the ability to embrace one’s primal nature. E.g. Lilith, Eve, Salome, Calypso, Pandora.
- Wise Woman: embodies wisdom, knowledge, and the ability to guide others through life’s challenges. E.g. Sophia, Kuan Yin, Baba Yaga
Working with these archetypes can be a transformative journey for women (and men), allowing them to embody the highest expression of their feminine energies.
The Divine Feminine Out of Balance
The best way to understand the balance of the Divine Feminine is to see it in relationship to the Divine Masculine. Think of the Yin/Yang. These two energies exist in harmony. If one is out of balance, it means that the other is also imbalanced. When our Divine Feminine energy is out of harmony, we exhibit the shadow side – the wounded feminine. This is characterized by unhealthy patterns of behavior such as jealousy, manipulation, and victimhood. Finding a balance between the two is key.
An imbalance in the Divine Feminine can manifest in various ways, including:
- Repression of emotions and feelings.
- Lack of creativity and self-expression.
- Difficulty in nurturing and caring for oneself and others.
- Overly passive behavior or playing the victim.
- Inability to set healthy boundaries.
- Disconnection from nature and the environment.
- Overly emotional or placing feelings above all else.
- A tendency towards perfectionism or people-pleasing.
- Difficulty in receiving and accepting help or support from others.
- Using emotional blackmail to manipulate others.
Awakening the Divine Feminine
Regardless of your gender, awakening the Divine Feminine within can benefit your spiritual, emotional, and physical well-being. Bringing a deeper sense of meaning and purpose into your life and connecting you to your inner guidance system.
Here are some ways to awaken the Divine Feminine:
- Spend time in nature, walk barefoot, sunbathe naked, and bathe in the river.
- Do things that deepen your relationship with the Earth like gardening, conservation, and working with animals.
- Access, fully feel, and release our feelings without judgment.
- Practice self-care and self-love.
- Cultivate healthy boundaries and learn to say no.
- Connect with the Divine Feminine through meditation, prayer, ritual, and ceremony.
- Embrace creativity, whether it’s through dance, art, music, writing, or other forms of expression.
- Cultivate intuition and take action on your inner guidance.
- Examine your wounds that arose from early and important relationships with women. Explore what they taught you about femininity and the qualities of the Divine Feminine.
- Practice compassion, empathy, and kindness towards ourselves and others.
- Nurture relationships, people, plants, and animals. Take care of your world with a loving presence.
- Flow within the micro and macro cycles of the day, month, year, etc.
Rise of the Divine Feminine
Patriarchal and masculine structures have dominated modern society for centuries. Part of bringing balance to a world that seeks domination over nature and each other is to bring balance to the divine principles. Awakening the Divine Feminine in each of us can help to empower all people and promote equality. In our linear and logical world, the qualities of the Divine Feminine like intuition, and emotions are seen as less than. But to bring balance and harmony to our world, all aspects of the divine energies need to be valued and revered. They don’t exist on a spectrum, they exist as a whole in complement to each other.
Connecting to the Divine Feminine helps us live more in alignment with our higher self and assists us in operating from a space of self-love, kindness, and inner peace. We can be compassionate and nurturing, without sacrificing healthy boundaries – embracing the idea of power with instead of power over. Essentially, when our energies are in balance, we are empowered and, in turn, empower others. Through meditation, prayer, and self-exploration, we can tap into the Divine Feminine energy within us and connect with the sacredness of all life. By embracing the Divine Feminine principle, we can create a world that is more compassionate, just, and equitable for all beings.
In the beginning, reading was an important part of my spiritual journey. Often people early in their awakening process will primarily explore spirituality through intellectual and conceptual understandings rather than through experiences. Often devouring the writings and teachings of spiritual teachers and accepting them as truth. Both experiential and intellectual exploration is important, but having an understanding of basic spiritual themes and concepts can be helpful in seeking out or understanding our experiences. I read all three of these books early on in my own awakening. I would highly recommend checking them out, especially if you are interested in the energetic transformations that accompany the spiritual path.
The Kybalion was originally published in 1908 by “Three Initiates” that convey the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus. This book explores the principles and teachings that underlie the fabric of the cosmos. It discusses seven laws of the universe that are meant to give readers insight into the way the universe works and how to successfully navigate it. It is a valuable resource for those seeking to deepen their spiritual knowledge and develop their own philosophy of life.
The Seven Principles of the Kybalion:
- The Principle of Mentalism – All is mind. The universe and everything in it is a mental creation of the infinite mind of the universe.
- The Principle of Correspondence – As above, so below. The universe is a network of correspondences where everything that exists in the physical world is a reflection of something in the mental or spiritual world.
- The Principle of Vibration – Everything is in constant motion and vibration. Everything from the smallest particle to the largest galaxy is in motion and vibrates at a specific frequency.
- The Principle of Polarity – Everything has two opposing aspects or polarities. Everything has an opposite and everything can be transformed from one polarity to another.
- The Principle of Rhythm – Everything has a rhythm and cycles. Everything in the universe moves in cycles and rhythms, from the smallest atom to the largest galaxy.
- The Principle of Cause and Effect – Every action has a reaction. Every cause has an effect and every effect has a cause. Nothing happens by chance.
- The Principle of Gender – Everything has masculine and feminine elements. Every person, object, and concept has masculine and feminine elements that work together to create balance and harmony.
The Celestine Prophecy is a novel by James Redfield that follows the journey of a man named John as he embarks on a quest to discover the secrets of an ancient manuscript with nine insights. Along the way, John encounters various challenges and meets individuals who help him understand the insights and apply them to his life. It was written near the end of the last century but many of its teachings are more relevant than ever. The book explores not only the energy but the ways humans compete for power and are deeply entrenched in control dramas that go along with that. But, if we can learn to source power from Universal consciousness rather than from each other we pave the way for our true human potential.
The 9 Insights of the Celestine Prophecy:
- First Insight – Synchronicities – Becoming aware of the meaningful coincidences around us that are meant to wake us up to the energetic and magical workings of the universe.
- Second Insight – Taking the Long View – Putting our current awareness into a longer historical perspective. We are waking up to the idea that there is something more meaningful intended for us that blends both science and spirituality.
- Third Insight – Everything is Energy – The basic stuff of the universe is vibrating strings of energy.
- Fourth Insight – Competing for Energy – This describes our struggle for power. When we control another person, we steal their energy. You feel strong, they feel weak. This had led to every conflict, large and small, that humans face.
- Fifth Insight – Tapping into Source Energy. Humans need to learn and experience connecting to the mystical consciousness or Source energy through experiences rather than taking energy from one another.
- Sixth Insight – Understanding our Control Dramas. To act consciously and source universal energy, we need to understand the ways we were taught to take energy from another person. These were developed in childhood in response to our parent’s control dramas.
- Seventh Insight – Intuition as a Guide – When we have enough energy we are able to engage in conscious evolution. Truly become the co-creator of your experience – The next phase in human evolution.
- Eighth Insight – Our Interpersonal Ethic – This insight is all about how we relate to others. It talks about parenting and how we try to dominate children and live out our control dramas.
- Conscious Evolution – Our Human Potential – We are going to see a massive shift in culture as more people move through and live by these insights. We will move into a state of giving by giving energy, giving time, giving resources, and the natural consequence will be an abundant universe for all living beings and Mother Earth.
Anatomy of the Spirit by Caroline Myss will change the way that you look at your body and energy field. Myss contends that illnesses and diseases are often caused by emotional or spiritual issues and that our thoughts and beliefs can have a powerful effect on our health and energy body. She takes the reader on a journey through the seven chakras, or energy centers, of the body, and explains how each one is related to specific traits, emotions, and organs. She also discusses how the different religious and spiritual traditions view the human spirit, and how we can draw on these traditions to create a more healing and holistic approach to our health and well-being.
The Seven Chakras:
- The Root Chakra – Tribal Power – All is One
The root chakra is all about our sense of belonging. It includes our sense of safety, security, and survival instincts. The root is also the foundation for our physical health and well-being.
- The Sacral Chakra – Power of Relationship – Honor One Another
The sacral chakra is all about our relationships with other people outside of our family. This area is our center of emotion, sex, pleasure, sensuality, and intimacy.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra – Personal Power – Honor One’s Self
This chakra is about our sense of self-worth and self-esteem. It is about getting to know who we are outside of group dynamics and relationships. Because of this, we deal with fear, anxiety, and our sense of self conﬁdence. It is also associated with the further development of the self, ego, and identity.
- The Heart Chakra – Emotional Power – Love is Divine Power
This chakra is the connector of the lower and upper chakras, the physical and spiritual realms. The heart is our seat of love, acceptance, compassion, and forgiveness. This chakra is about our internal feelings and our emotional response to our thoughts.
- The Throat Chakra – Power of Will – Surrender Personal Will to Divine Will
This chakra is the seat of self-expression, communication, and will. Because it is located between the heart and the mind, it connects our mental/emotional bodies around our power of choice.
- The Brow Chakra – Power of the Mind – Seek Only the Truth
This chakra is about the development of the mind, and understanding truth from illusion. Our seat of inner guidance, wisdom, and imagination.
- The Crown Chakra – Divine Power – Live in the Present Moment
This chakra is the center of bliss and transcendental consciousness. Here we move into higher consciousness through beingness. It is where inspired thought and mystical experiences originate.
Each one of these books was a helpful guide on my path of awakening. Especially in the beginning as I was trying to understand some of the basic spiritual laws that govern the universe. Providing a framework to understand, and in some cases provide, the container for my experiential, energetic pursuits.
Shadow work is a term used to describe the process of exploring and working with the aspects of our personality that we typically keep hidden or repressed. These aspects, often referred to as our “shadow,” can include our fears, insecurities, traumas, and other negative emotions and experiences that we have learned to suppress or ignore. While this process can be difficult and uncomfortable, shadow work is a powerful tool for personal growth and self-awareness.
Origins of Shadow Work
The concept of the shadow was first introduced by Swiss psychiatrist Carl Jung, who believed that our conscious selves are only one part of our psyche, and that we also have an unconscious mind that is made up of repressed or suppressed aspects of ourselves. According to Jung, these unconscious aspects can influence our behavior and attitudes in ways that we may not even be aware of, and that the process of integrating our shadow can lead to greater wholeness and a deeper understanding of ourselves.
Shadow work can take many forms, including journaling, therapy, meditation, or other forms of self-reflection. Some common techniques include identifying and exploring patterns in our behavior or relationships, uncovering childhood traumas or repressed emotions, and examining our beliefs and values.
Benefits of Shadow Work
One of the main benefits of this work is that it can help us to break free from patterns of self-sabotage and negative behavior. By becoming aware of the aspects of ourselves that we have been trying to hide or ignore, we can begin to heal and integrate these parts of ourselves, leading to a greater sense of self-acceptance and empowerment. Shadow work can deepen our relationships with others. When we are able to recognize and work through our own shadow, we become less judgmental and more compassionate towards others, allowing for more authentic connections and deeper understanding.
Shadow Work is A Process
This work is not a one-time process or a quick fix. It’s a lifelong journey of self-discovery and self-improvement. It requires a willingness to confront and acknowledge uncomfortable truths about ourselves, and a commitment to ongoing self-reflection and growth. It’s also important to approach shadow work with self-compassion and without judgment. It’s natural to feel resistance or discomfort when exploring our shadow, but it’s important to remember that these aspects of ourselves are not “bad” or “wrong,” they are simply parts of us that need attention and healing.
Shadow work is a powerful tool for personal growth and self-awareness. By exploring and integrating our shadow, we can break free from patterns of self-sabotage, deepen our relationships with others, and ultimately lead a more fulfilling and authentic life. While the process can be uncomfortable, the benefits are well worth the effort. So, take a deep breath, be gentle with yourself, and embrace the journey of shadow work.
Here is a guided meditation using the medicine of Crow.