Balancing the Divine Masculine
The concept of the Divine Masculine is often misunderstood and overlooked in our society, which tends to focus more on the negative aspects of masculinity. However, the Divine Masculine represents the best and most inspiring aspects of masculine expression in the universe. The Divine Masculine is thought to reside within all individuals, regardless of gender identity, and is seen as a vital aspect of personal growth and spiritual development. It is complementary to the Divine Feminine, and together they create balance in the universe. In this article, we will explore the Divine Masculine principle, its archetypes, traits, and imbalances.
Characteristics of the Divine Masculine
The Divine Masculine is an energetic, spiritual, and archetypal ideal that exists on a transpersonal and universal level manifesting itself through conscious thoughts, plans, processes, goals, and structures. This principle is very action-based, focused on doing rather than being, and it is represented by power, strength, focus, leadership, and logic. In proper balance, it is confident without being arrogant, rational without being possessive, and strong while still being gentle. It offers safety and guidance through compassion and support.
Divine Masculine Archetypes
In mythology and literature, the Divine Masculine is represented by various archetypes. These archetypes can embody both the light and shadow aspects. Both men and women can embody these representations.
Here are some examples:
- The King – represents sovereignty, leadership, and responsibility
- The Knight – represents courage, chivalry, protection, honor
- The Warrior – represents strength, courage, and protection
- The Magician – represents intelligence, wisdom, and transformation
- The Father – represents nurturing, supportive, and protective energy
- The Lover – represents passion, intimacy, and emotional connection
Examples of these archetypes can be found in various spiritual traditions, such as Hinduism, Greek mythology, and Christianity. Characters like Hercules, Perseus, Shiva, Zeus, and even the idea of a masculine God or “Father” in Christianity embody the Divine Masculine archetype.
Here is a great resource to learn more about Divine Masculine Archetypes.
Unbalanced Divine Masculine
The best way to understand the balance of the Divine Masculine is to see it in relationship to the Divine Feminine. Think of the Ying/Yang. These two energies exist in harmony. If one is out of balance it means that the other is also imbalanced. So if you are too grounded in your masculine energy, you will be deficient in the Divine Feminine and vis versa. Finding a balance between the two is key. If you notice any of these signs, it may be an indication that your Divine Masculine energy is out of balance, and you may need to work on tapping into your feminine energy or work on any deficiency in your masculine energy.
Here are some common signs to look out for:
- Overly aggressive or dominant behavior
- Lack of empathy or emotional intelligence
- Inability to connect with others on an emotional level
- Difficulty expressing vulnerability or emotions
- Overemphasis on doing rather than being
- Overemphasis on material success and wealth
- Lack of focus or direction in life
- Difficulty with self-discipline and not taking accountability
Awakening the Divine Masculine
Some practices that can help awaken the Divine Masculine energy within oneself include:
- Set boundaries: Being assertive and setting boundaries is a masculine trait. Saying “no” to people and things that do not align with your values is an important step in taking responsibility for your life.
- Practice Responsibility and accountability: Take charge of your life and be accountable for your role in situations.
- Examine your wounds surrounding the masculine: Reflecting on your formative and important relationships with the men in your life. What did you learn about masculinity? How did this guide your actions as an adult?
- Create Structure & Processes: Think about where your lack of structure and self-discipline has harmed you or inhibited your success. Can you create more processes or healthy habits that allow you to be more productive?
- Take action: Go get shit done.
By practicing these methods, one can nurture and balance the Divine Masculine energy within oneself, leading to a more balanced and awakened life.
Read: Seeing Beyond the Lens of Patriarchy
The Masculinity Crisis
Initiations and rituals that help boys transition into manhood used to be an integral part of traditional societies. However, over the centuries of civilization in the West, almost all of these ritual processes have been abandoned or discredited. This has led to a crisis in masculinity, where men are struggling to find their identity and purpose in life. The lack of meaningful ritual for masculine initiation has disconnected men from the processes by which they achieved their gender identity in a deep, mature, and life-enhancing way. As a result, many men either had no initiation into manhood or had pseudo-initiations that did not have the power necessary to achieve genuine transformation of consciousness.
It is necessary to find a balance between the Divine Masculine and the Divine Feminine to live a whole, awakened, and balanced life. Awakening the Divine Masculine requires responsibility, accountability, and self-awareness. We need to work on the shadow side of the Masculine to resolve the crisis of masculinity in society as a whole. By tapping into the balanced aspects and engaging with its archetypes, men can become more centered, and generative towards themselves and others, and live a more peaceful, aligned, and meaningful existence.