In the beginning, reading was an important part of my spiritual journey. Often people early in their awakening process will primarily explore spirituality through intellectual and conceptual understandings rather than through experiences. Often devouring the writings and teachings of spiritual teachers and accepting them as truth. Both experiential and intellectual exploration is important, but having an understanding of basic spiritual themes and concepts can be helpful in seeking out or understanding our experiences. I read all three of these books early on in my own awakening. I would highly recommend checking them out, especially if you are interested in the energetic transformations that accompany the spiritual path.
The Kybalion was originally published in 1908 by “Three Initiates” that convey the teachings of Hermes Trismegistus. This book explores the principles and teachings that underlie the fabric of the cosmos. It discusses seven laws of the universe that are meant to give readers insight into the way the universe works and how to successfully navigate it. It is a valuable resource for those seeking to deepen their spiritual knowledge and develop their own philosophy of life.
The Seven Principles of the Kybalion:
- The Principle of Mentalism – All is mind. The universe and everything in it is a mental creation of the infinite mind of the universe.
- The Principle of Correspondence – As above, so below. The universe is a network of correspondences where everything that exists in the physical world is a reflection of something in the mental or spiritual world.
- The Principle of Vibration – Everything is in constant motion and vibration. Everything from the smallest particle to the largest galaxy is in motion and vibrates at a specific frequency.
- The Principle of Polarity – Everything has two opposing aspects or polarities. Everything has an opposite and everything can be transformed from one polarity to another.
- The Principle of Rhythm – Everything has a rhythm and cycles. Everything in the universe moves in cycles and rhythms, from the smallest atom to the largest galaxy.
- The Principle of Cause and Effect – Every action has a reaction. Every cause has an effect and every effect has a cause. Nothing happens by chance.
- The Principle of Gender – Everything has masculine and feminine elements. Every person, object, and concept has masculine and feminine elements that work together to create balance and harmony.
The Celestine Prophecy
The Celestine Prophecy is a novel by James Redfield that follows the journey of a man named John as he embarks on a quest to discover the secrets of an ancient manuscript with nine insights. Along the way, John encounters various challenges and meets individuals who help him understand the insights and apply them to his life. It was written near the end of the last century but many of its teachings are more relevant than ever. The book explores not only the energy but the ways humans compete for power and are deeply entrenched in control dramas that go along with that. But, if we can learn to source power from Universal consciousness rather than from each other we pave the way for our true human potential.
The 9 Insights of the Celestine Prophecy:
- First Insight – Synchronicities – Becoming aware of the meaningful coincidences around us that are meant to wake us up to the energetic and magical workings of the universe.
- Second Insight – Taking the Long View – Putting our current awareness into a longer historical perspective. We are waking up to the idea that there is something more meaningful intended for us that blends both science and spirituality.
- Third Insight – Everything is Energy – The basic stuff of the universe is vibrating strings of energy.
- Fourth Insight – Competing for Energy – This describes our struggle for power. When we control another person, we steal their energy. You feel strong, they feel weak. This had led to every conflict, large and small, that humans face.
- Fifth Insight – Tapping into Source Energy. Humans need to learn and experience connecting to the mystical consciousness or Source energy through experiences rather than taking energy from one another.
- Sixth Insight – Understanding our Control Dramas. To act consciously and source universal energy, we need to understand the ways we were taught to take energy from another person. These were developed in childhood in response to our parent’s control dramas.
- Seventh Insight – Intuition as a Guide – When we have enough energy we are able to engage in conscious evolution. Truly become the co-creator of your experience – The next phase in human evolution.
- Eighth Insight – Our Interpersonal Ethic – This insight is all about how we relate to others. It talks about parenting and how we try to dominate children and live out our control dramas.
- Conscious Evolution – Our Human Potential – We are going to see a massive shift in culture as more people move through and live by these insights. We will move into a state of giving by giving energy, giving time, giving resources, and the natural consequence will be an abundant universe for all living beings and Mother Earth.
For a more in-depth look at the Celestine Prophecy, read Re-Visiting The Celestine Prophecy
Anatomy of the Spirit
Anatomy of the Spirit by Caroline Myss will change the way that you look at your body and energy field. Myss contends that illnesses and diseases are often caused by emotional or spiritual issues and that our thoughts and beliefs can have a powerful effect on our health and energy body. She takes the reader on a journey through the seven chakras, or energy centers, of the body, and explains how each one is related to specific traits, emotions, and organs. She also discusses how the different religious and spiritual traditions view the human spirit, and how we can draw on these traditions to create a more healing and holistic approach to our health and well-being.
The Seven Chakras:
- The Root Chakra – Tribal Power – All is One
The root chakra is all about our sense of belonging. It includes our sense of safety, security, and survival instincts. The root is also the foundation for our physical health and well-being.
- The Sacral Chakra – Power of Relationship – Honor One Another
The sacral chakra is all about our relationships with other people outside of our family. This area is our center of emotion, sex, pleasure, sensuality, and intimacy.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra – Personal Power – Honor One’s Self
This chakra is about our sense of self-worth and self-esteem. It is about getting to know who we are outside of group dynamics and relationships. Because of this, we deal with fear, anxiety, and our sense of self conﬁdence. It is also associated with the further development of the self, ego, and identity.
- The Heart Chakra – Emotional Power – Love is Divine Power
This chakra is the connector of the lower and upper chakras, the physical and spiritual realms. The heart is our seat of love, acceptance, compassion, and forgiveness. This chakra is about our internal feelings and our emotional response to our thoughts.
- The Throat Chakra – Power of Will – Surrender Personal Will to Divine Will
This chakra is the seat of self-expression, communication, and will. Because it is located between the heart and the mind, it connects our mental/emotional bodies around our power of choice.
- The Brow Chakra – Power of the Mind – Seek Only the Truth
This chakra is about the development of the mind, and understanding truth from illusion. Our seat of inner guidance, wisdom, and imagination.
- The Crown Chakra – Divine Power – Live in the Present Moment
This chakra is the center of bliss and transcendental consciousness. Here we move into higher consciousness through beingness. It is where inspired thought and mystical experiences originate.
Want to see how the chakras can be seen as a framework for our personal evolution?
Each one of these books was a helpful guide on my path of awakening. Especially in the beginning as I was trying to understand some of the basic spiritual laws that govern the universe. Providing a framework to understand, and in some cases provide, the container for my experiential, energetic pursuits.